Sunday, January 23, 2005

 

Dingy and Real

Name?

Spiriti Sanctiblogger.

Rank?

Uh--Ph.D.?

Rank?

Uh--professor of Advanced Smegmatics?

Rank?

Uh--chaplain?

That's what we're looking for. Welcome to Gitmo, chaplain.

I don't understand. Am I being detained, or--hired?

Neither, chaplain. You're being recruited.

Recruited to--what, the U.S. military? I'm a foreign national.

We're aware of that, chaplain.

So if this is a recruitment, I'm free to refuse?

Of course.

And if I refuse, I'm free to go?

Absolutely.

Then I'll go.

Be my guest. There's the door.

But there's--nothing out there.

Oh, I think you'll find it isn't exactly "nothing." Our staff philosophers like to call it Kant's Ding-an-sich. Our staff shrinks prefer to call it Lacan's Real. And it's plenty of both.

Both?

Dingy and real.

But if I stepped out into it, I'd be--

Instantly subsumed. Yes, chaplain.

I see.

Sign here?




<< Home