Tuesday, October 12, 2004

 

Alas, Poor Karl

Baron Samedi looked all over his room. No doll. Goddamit, he muttered, I left it right here on the bed. I know I did.

He went to the nurse’s station to complain.

“Yes, Mr. Samedi?” the shift nurse said.

“I left a very important doll in my room when I went to group session, and now it’s gone. Someone has stolen it.”

“Was it about so big,” she gestured, “with a pink head?”

“Yes, yes, that’s it. Do you have it?”

“The janitor brought it to me a little while ago. Said he found it on a patient’s bed.”

“Yes, that’s it. That’s my doll.”

“Oh, I’m so sorry, Mr. Samedi. I told him to throw it away. It smelled like a rotten herring. I assumed it had come up through the pipes like a rat. I didn’t know it was a doll.”

“You threw it away! What the hell!” Baron Samedi pushed back his top hat a little, and thumped the counter with his gold-topped cane. “I want it back!”

“Mr. Samedi, calm down. I’m sure we can get you a nice Barbie doll if you want a doll. That thing was disgusting.”

“No, goddamit! I want that doll!” He smashed a vase of flowers with his cane.

The nurse called security. The guards took Baron Samedi to his room and tied him to his bed. Sedatives were given.

Meanwhile, just outside the hospital, a homeless and hungry wino was poking through the dumpsters. He was surprised to find, not only twenty of the aluminum cans he was seeking, but also a piece of fish. Funny looking piece of fish, with that pink head, but it should cook up okay, he thought. He stuck it in his pocket.




<< Home